Where the heck did it go?!?
Seriously, I have to be at work Monday. I am not sure where my summer went but we had a good time. Last time I posted, I was in the thick of the Tour do Fleece and about ready to go camping with my folks so here's a rundown of what has happened since.
Canon City, CO. We went down, met my parents and their motor-home, and a good time was had by all, even though the kids had spotty wi-fi and had to participate in all the activities. The we got there, my brother and his girls were still there so we took the time to check out the Royal Gorge Bridge. The area around the bridge was devastated by fire last year most of the buildings were destroyed.
This locomotive sits at the entrance and the fire rolled right over it and you can kind of see the burn scar behind it. We were able to go over the bridge on the bus they were running and it was interesting but heights are not my thing.
We were on a mission to find Bishop's Castle, but we did not have a map so we ended up in Pueblo for lunch and a ride on a boat down the Riverwalk. It has been a really long time since we have been in Pueblo so I was impressed with how much they have expanded this area. The boat ride was fun.
We drove around Pueblo and found this cool building which covers some electrical stuff near the train yard, it is made out of an old box car and the hubby thought it was fantastic.
This is Lake Isabel in the San Isabel National Forest. We were on the road, closing in on Bishop's Castle and discovered this along the way. On one side of the road is this beautiful lake and on the other is a valley with quite a drop. Gorgeous.
And we were finally successful in finding Bishop's Castle. The kids climbed around a little bit while the rest of us stayed on the ground. It is crazy and amazing. After we headed back to Canon City, we had one more stop. We went to the Abby Winery and had a tasting. It was delicious after our long day
This is the view from the RV park.
Day two put us in the ground. We went up to Cripple Creek and visited their Cultural Center and then spent most of the afternoon at the Mollie Kathleen Mine. While we waited for out tour we enjoyed lunch. The mine tour took us down to one thousand feet under ground.
Here we are before donning hardhats and squeezing into a very tiny elevator for our tour. The very tiny elevator took two minutes to reach the bottom, it was dark.
I think we had the best tour guide as our tour was longer than the hour it was predicted to be. We all enjoyed it, the kids never complained once about it taking too long, they never even wondered how much longer it was going to take.
We walked around downtown Cripple Creek a little after the tour and enjoyed some ice-cream.
All in all it was a fabulous trip. We drove home the next day up 285 which we had never done before. It was a good trip and I only freaked out a little bit (my hubby will probably disagree with that assessment as I was practically in tears for part of it, but in my defense it was really, really high and it was raining, I was sure we were going to die. Have I mentioned that heights aren't really my thing?).
The day we left for Canon City I had washed, whacked and hung to dry the yarns I had finished already. I have 810 yards of two-ply fingering weight, I am calling it Abstract Sage. I have 462 yards of a fingering weight single-ply, I am calling it Not a Headache, because it was an amazing spin and it looks great.
| Abstract Sage |
| Not a Headache |
No comments:
Post a Comment