Monday, May 26, 2014

Back To The Craft Room

Well, I was finally able to get back into my craft room and finish the yarn I have been working on.  It is a merino/yak blend and it has taken me forever to spin because it wants to be teeny-tiny, lace-weight yarn.  I had 4oz of this yummy fiber to spin and I have made a beautiful, squishy yarn out of it.  I have approximately 680 yards.  346 yards in the largest skein, 178 yards and 156 yards in the two smaller skeins.

This was the first time I really tried for a specific result from my spinning.  My sister gave me a gorgeous fall coat and it is my favorite shade of purple.When I got it home, I realized that my club fiber (I am in Spunky Eclectic's fiber club so I get a different fiber in a different colorway every month) for August 2013 was an excellent match to it.  So I went in knowing I wanted to be able to make a cowl and matching mittens or gloves with this fiber.


I spun the first 2oz from one end to the other and chain-plied it to keep the color changes as long as possible.  Then, I took the other 2ozand split it down the middle length-wise and spun each of those from end to end and chain-plied those as well.  The resulting yarn is a fairly accurate match to what I originally wanted.  Now all I need to do is find a cowl pattern that will show off this fantastic yarn.

This yarn is called Preserved and the colors drift from deep purple through pinkish-reds to golds and greens.  I can't wait to knit it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment